Eight states have partnered with FC2S to help current and former foster youth pay for college and provide the support they need to be successful.
The John H. Chafee Foster Care Independence Act of 1999 addressed the challenges faced by young people from foster care with programs to help them transition to adulthood. Drawing from best practice of FC2S’s work with foster youth, in 2002 the Education Training Voucher (ETV) Program was designed as a federally-funded, state-administered initiative to provide funding and support for post-secondary education.
Eligible students may receive grants of up to $5,000 per year for up to five years or until their 23rd birthday. ETV funds can be combined with other grants or scholarships to minimize or eliminate the need for student loans.
“The ETV Program is not just financial aid, it is a system of academic and social support designed to help students successfully complete their education and become independent contributing members of society.” – Eileen McCaffrey, Executive Director of Foster Care to Success
- One-on-one mentoring
- Internship opportunities
- Academic Coaching
- Care packages
We help educate both students and stakeholders – foster parents, social workers, educators, and other concerned adults – regarding the issues facing foster youth, including:
- how to choose an appropriate educational program
- the differences between community colleges, public and private four-year schools, proprietary institutions and online colleges
- the real costs of attending school, including fees, books and supplies, transportation and living expenses
- the real costs of financing an education including the difference between grants and loans
- how to access on-campus and community resources
- academic support to help them succeed at remedial work
- strength-based career planning
- how to develop and maintain a workable budget
- balancing family life and school, including parenting
- taking care of their emotional and physical health
Click here for more information on the Foster Care to Success ETV Programs.
“I would like to express my most genuine appreciation for the ETV program for supporting me on my journey to reaching my educational goals. You eased the financial burden of higher education and provided me with the proper tools needed to reach my goals. I know that it will help me in becoming a fruitful and productive citizen. I believe that I and many others will continue to benefit from the ETV program and on behalf of other recipients I hope that you will always be a source of support for us.” – Randy B., Jacksonville State University, AL